Monday, November 03, 2008

My long NYC post

Speaking of being in the City for the marathon...La! The people! The cameras! The people!

Josh, my brother-in-law Ben and I walked through Central Park on Saturday to get some snaps of the different landmarks that Dave talks about in the script. (FYI: if you've never been to Central Park in the fall....do it.) We walked most of the run that he did in 2005 - inadvertently. We got lost. Most of the maps don't show all the little pathways and NOTHING is labeled. Very nice when you're meandering, but not when you have a mission.

We entered the park at Columbus Circle and happened on the kids' marathon. I have no idea how much they had to run, but they were workin' it. Josh got some pictures of the set up which he thinks will be cool for the show. The pictures of the landmarks are going to turn out well, Dave. And I don't care that the Bethesda Angel is in everything; it's gorgeous. Plus, if we hadn't been going to see it, then we would have missed a really sweet busking act. Two men, no ramps/trampolines/leg-ups, and some kick-a** flips. We came at the end, but was able to see the finale where the one man threw himself over 4 adults bent over. Very, very impressive.

Sunday, the day of the marathon, Josh and I needed to go to the American Natural History museum so I could do research for a different show. As we were leaving, Central Park West was filling up with the masses and masses of people there to watch the end. I think by that time the winners had already crossed, but the thousands of runners behind them had only just started to make it. On the museum steps, as well as the subway ride to lunch, I saw several runners wrapped in the warming wraps. There were a few being cradled by a loved one, some jogging the run off, many limping, and quite a lot of exhaustion. Watching them I almost felt I was intruding on a very private moment, even though it was in the middle of the city.

1 comment:

pengo said...

I am committed to acknowledging the angel.

Damn. Shoulda asked you to snag one of those wraps.