Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Let these ghosts out of my skull.


And now, monotony. Not during the runs themselves, but the motivation to depart. To get out of the house, to hit the road. Four miles? Really? Again? It doesn't feel as though it is adding up to anything. What if I had to run the marathon today, I would not be ready. These legs, these lungs could not accomplish that.

And that is why we train. Why we commit. So on an ordinary day, when it seems not so much pointless as kind of dumb, you can look into yourself and say, "Because I promised."

It's only the fourth week. I will get there.

Distance: 4 miles
Route: To Parkside Blvd. and back.

Temperature: 35º
Climate: dry & cool
Weight: 175.5 lbs.
Snack: banana
Hydration? yes
Stretches? yes

175 lbs. A mental breakthrough, if not necessarily a physical one. Attained not by intentionally cutting back on intake at meals, but between meals.

1992 Playlist
The World's Green Laughter - The B-52's
Humpin' Around - Bobby Brown
Tandem Jump (154 bpm) - Jonathan Richman
I Love You Goodbye - Thomas Dolby
Baby Got Back - Sir Mix A Lot
Eastern Bloc (Sequel to Europa and the Pirate Twins) - Thomas Dolby
Tennessee - Arrested Development
House of Love - East 17
Hypnotist of Ladies - They Might Be Giants

Cooldown:
The Life of Riley - The Lightning Seeds
My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) - En Vogue

No comments: