Monday, November 13, 2017

Words move faster.

As I was saying, the late 90s to me meant deep, dark techno music. Bass and beats and brooding. No idea why this was the case, though the work we did moving into that brief Bad Epitaph Theater phase may have had something to do with it. The opening sounds of Beaucoup Fish by Underworld put me in the center of an urban, winter landscape, just after dusk.

My introduction to Underworld was "Dark and Long," from the heroin withdrawal, baby-on-the-ceiling scene from Trainspotting. Like most albums I bought in 1999, I either read a review somewhere or heard one on NPR. I had almost entirely stopped buying music I'd heard on commercial radio.

Beaucoup Fish - Underworld (1999)
Cups
Push Upstairs
Jumbo
Shudder / King Of Snake

Distance: 3.25 miles
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 42°
Climate: overcast & cool
Mood: decent

Last night the boy asked if my stretches were helping. I said no, they really aren't. But it's a choice now. Run and hurt, don't run and don't hurt. The running isn't difficult, it's just not painless.

Keep moving. Just keep moving.

No comments: