Saturday, July 08, 2023

We'll still be dancing as you run.

Music is the motivation. The iPod made me a consistent runner. Because I need rhythm. And because I am easily bored.

So? Another album!

Distance: 4 miles
Duration: 37:11
Pace: 9:17
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 73°
Climate: sunny & beautiful
Mood: good
 
Yes, much better today. Energetic and lively. Fantastic!

Fantastic - Wham! (1983)
Bad Boys
A Ray of Sunshine
Love Machine
Wham! Rap (Enjoy What You Do)
Club Tropicana
Nothing Looks the Same in the Light
Come On
Young Guns (Go For It!)

This album did not hit in America, though the song "Young Guns (Go For It!)" did make it into the soundtrack of the movie Sixteen Candles. It should be no surprise. If I had heard it when I was fifteen, I would probably have dismissed the thing outright. Which is a pity because I do love it so.

Why do I love it so? Because a girl explained to me why I should, which is the only reason I have come to enjoy anything in this world. I was raised to be so cynical, so judgmental (where did that come from? not from my parents) that things just fun or silly were not to be trusted.

Also? Homophobia. Just fucking stupid. You miss so much bring a bigot.

But this is the thing. We worshipped Frankie Goes to Hollywood, and they were straight up gay. In your face, as we used to say. And we loved it. Wham! was what we now call queer-coded; Andrew is straight, George claimed to be. But they were fey. They exhibited the same kind of character traits that I got bullied for, and so I told myself I wasn't into it.

This album has no business being this good.
 
Stretches: yes
Upper body: 10 reps. (3x)
Water: yes

Yes, I watched the documentary. The big takeaway: George Michael grew older. Wham! is eternally young.

“There was a certain energy through the naffness.” - George Michael

Breakfast: coffee w/cream, cherry, blackberry, blueberry, grape, banana w/granola & yogurt
Lunch: pizza (2 slices), 1/2 C. slaw
Happy Hour: fizzy water, dried fruit & almonds
Snack: pretzel rods
Dinner: olive tapenade pasta w/roasted broccoli 
Alcohol? No

Baseline: 195 lbs.
Current: 169.5 lbs. (-0-)
Goal: 165 lbs.

Reading: 30 min.
Writing: 30 min. storyboarding

Reading as I eat now, instead of the crossword. That becomes a way to avoid everything, the crossword. It's more challenging than Solitaire, I remember playing Solitaire all the time when I was seventeen. It was a way of avoiding the tedium of conversation with my girlfriend.

But reading, it feels so selfish. But it's so important.

No comments: