Monday, August 30, 2010

I see more than you think







Creating this promotional video got me a little excited. It's been a year since I performed this show, I had forgotten how much ground it covers (get it?) and how physical it is. Just the music reminded me.


I am a mess, physically, but not as much as earlier this summer. A little more rested, a little more focused. The summer truly ends now, it is time to get back into the swing, training actor-teachers, getting kids ready for actual school (Second Grade? For real?) But I need to run more than once a week, I need to have a regimen, something that fits, something I can stick to. My body will thank me.

Can I go twenty-four hours without eating something fried? It's a question.


The girl wanted a special place for her "Spy Club" and asked for help. When I was a kid, my hiding place was the attic over the garage, so naturally I thought of our attic. And this is great, because that place was due for a major overhaul anyway. We have a fantastic walk-up attic, someday I will insulate it and make it another room (probably for the girl when she gets into high school) but for now it has languished, full of boxes.

Boxes of what? Well, I have, up to this point, hated to throw anything away. Because I will be a famous cartoonist or writer or something, and who knows what my archivists will want to see to divine the nascent genius developing in my adolescent brain?

Well. It's crap. Really, all of it. I started flipping through twenty, twenty-five, thirty year-old notebooks. There is nothing there. Doodles, notes for comic strips, protestations of non-existent faith, letters never sent. No one needs to read this. It's all going to Athens on our next trip to see the grandparents and I will have a bonfire of one and send it all up. I already have a half-dozen large bags of the stuff. It was a busy Sunday afternoon.

Most of it will go up. Not all. The serious materials stay, that which is evidence of actual achievement. The books, the published material, articles, programs, scripts.

And things like this. I found my number (623) from my very first race, July 4, 1980. Written on it was my time. Not bad for an almost-12- year-old who had never run a race before in his life. I thought I did a lot of walking during this race, but apparently I didn't.

Time: 46:35
Weather: Hot

Some things you keep.

It's All True Genius Mix
It's All True - Tracey Thorn
High Noon - Kruder & Dorfmeister
Love - Air
We Share Our Mothers' Health - The Knife
Small Town Girl - Tracey Thorn
Disappointed - Electronic
Disco Heat - Calvin Harris

Distance: 3.25 miles
Temperature: 72º
Weather: just before dawn warm
Weight: 159.5 lbs.

6 comments:

Josh said...

Nice job! You make my stuff look overwrought and clunky.

pengo said...

We are talking about the video ... right?

Josh said...

Yes, doofus.

pengo said...

I mean, When you talk about your "stuff" ... Especially your "overwrought and clunky stuff" ...

Josh said...

If I meant that, I would have said "junk".

pengo said...

Just before I was enlightened to the word "junk" Locke taught me the word "garbage." Do you think that's regional?