Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How does it feel?

Running from dusk until dark, the temperature is high but the breeze is cool. Deceptive. Muscles relax, warm, I fly down the street. I am not even trying.

I have not run for ten days. It never lets up. Grants to complete, birthday parties to throw, houses to clean and laundry to do, classic novels to adapt (no time to read) meetings to attend, notes to take ... I am not missing anything, but I am hitting everything. So much to do. But as long as the rain holds and the air is good.

My head is clear. The seasons have changed. My head does not hurt, my sinuses are free. Remember this feeling. Be glad. You can breathe, and think.

My basement is seeping. The garage is falling over. When I am dead these things will not matter. My girl stayed up past 10 PM to finish her science project. She is so dedicated to her work, whatever it is.

The boy and I played baby pat-a-cake games from a book ... I have seen this book on the shelf for years but never opened it, not this one. He said the book is really for little kids, but he didn't care. He's going to be big so soon.

Let the basement crumble. Let the garage collapse. This day will never come again.

1983 Playlist
Don't Let Go - Wang Chung
Leilani - Hoodoo Gurus
Young Guns (Go For It!) - Wham!
I Love You - Yello
Kiss Off (177 bpm) - Violent Femmes
Just Got Lucky - JoBoxers
Blue Monday - New Order
I Don't Remember - Peter Gabriel
Someone To Talk To (158 bpm) - The Police
Undercover of the Night - The Rolling Stones

That was a really good year for music.

Distance: 5.15 miles
Temperature: 70º
Weather: GLORIOUS
Weight: 169 lbs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David,

We were referred to your blog by a fellow trail/runner. Columbia Sportswear is conducting a Spring Field Test of some of our newest technology Trail Running shirts/jackets. We'd love to have you participate. If you're interested the only obligation is responding to a survey to give us feedback on the gear.

by the way, love the 83 playlist: New Order and Hoodoo Gurus. Top Notch.

Just let me know and we'll get your details:

ColumbiaFieldTest@columbia.com is the email address.

Thanks,

Dan
Columbia Sportswear Spring Field Test Team