Saturday, March 12, 2011

... then you die.

Route: Garfield's Loop

This was not how I planned it. No. Not my intention to run a scant five times during February. Or to consume as much garbage food as I have this month. But it has been a grueling month, physically, emotionally, mentally ...

We did get the cat back. His five day absence -- and another entire night two week later where we could not find him -- cast a pall on what was already an endurance test of a month. The tour took a lot out of me in many ways. The weather has been wretched, yes, I know it's February, but the sheer amount of snow dumped all at once ... I mean, we all complain about it, for me it was just another thing I needed, literally, to shoulder.

This run was a release. But also an ordeal. Where the great drifts of snow that fell yesterday had been plowed, it was dry, where it had not -- I'M LOOKING AT YOU, MOTORCARS!!! -- it was impassable. I was in the street a lot. I do not like that. I have a family to think of.

My shoes are full of slush. It is amazing how little you need to run with wet socks to develop a callous or a blister. Jesus.

1997 Playlist
Space Junk [Wang Chung '97] - Wang Chung
Around the World - Daft Punk
My Hero (154 bpm) - Foo Fighters
Busy Child - The Crystal Method
Rumble In The Jungle - The Fugees
Collision and Improvisation (174 bpm) - Pizzicato Five
Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
Spudnik - Plaid
Bittersweet Symphony - Verve
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces - Ben Folds Five

Distance: 5.15 miles
Temperature: 48º
Weather: nice, but ...
Groundcover: Dry! Wet! Crunchy! Snowy! SLUSHY!
Weight: 166 lbs.

Training:
Did you drink a glass of water when you woke up this morning? Yes.
Did you have a snack when you woke up this morning? Yes, one piece of cold pizza. (Hey. It was there.)
Breakfast: Two eggs, two pieces of bacon, on a small waffle. Lots of coffee.
Anything else: Not yet. Good boy. I plan on a simple lunch, and then beer for dinner.

No comments: