Saturday, April 30, 2011

Busting makes me feel good.

Oops.


What do we runners actually sound like to ordinary human beings? I spotted a dude at a social charitable event last night, we were both the "wives" for the evening. Didn't know anyone, our own spouses generously introduced us to people, it was at a bowling alley and I did have the kids, it would have been easy to be anti-social and yet not appear like an a-hole.

And yet, I thought I would play nice and asked about his Chicago Marathon T-shirt. It was an all right conversation, his wife was going to be running Cleveland, he says he never had and he will be in Sweden or somewhere on the 15th so he is going to run 26.2 miles that day, where he is, in support of her.

He asked if I would be an I said I was considering running the Half and it took a few more moments of conversation to realize he scorned the very idea of "The Half." He informed me it is a well-know fact that over a 10K the damage you are doing to yourself makes running any further entirely useless, why bother if you aren't going to run the entire thing?

And I'm like, huh. Do I sound like that kind of a dick to non-runners?

1984 Playlist
Concealed Weapons (12" remix) (152 bpm) - J. Geils Band
Master And Servant (Slavery Whip Mix) - Depeche Mode
Street Dance - Break Machine
Love Kills - Freddie Mercury
Are We Ourselves? - The Fixx
Rock Me Tonight - Billy Squier
Ghostbusters (12" remix) - Ray Parker Jr.

Distance: 5.15 miles
Duration: 40.5 minutes
Pace: 7.8 min.
Temperature: 59º
Weather: wet ... cool ... glorious
Weight: 170.5 lbs.

I officially need an intervention.

No comments: