Sunday, April 10, 2011

I'm gonna make somebody love me.

Thanks, Ali!

Emotional withdrawal, the heightened sense of tension and excitement that comes with the dawn of a new endeavor, getting to the beginning, what will it be, what will happen, followed by the, well, there it is. Okay. What next?

Houses have been small. Productions like these count on word of mouth. My mouth has been open an screaming for attention for weeks now. I am still a little surprised, and disappointed, by turnout. We "opened" last night. There were maybe 12 people in the house.

The cleveland.com review was, indeed, in the print edition of The Plain Dealer. The Saturday edition, which no one actually reads. It is difficult to build word of mouth when there are so few mouths to speak.

My house in empty this morning, they all (wife included) spent the night at a friends' house. Went grocery shopping. Made coffee. Feeling depressed. Nothing to do but go running.

Distance: 5.15 miles
Temperature: 63º
Weather: incredible!
Weight: 168 lbs.

Well. That put things into perspective. Moving through space, warm air, deep breaths, sweat, bright light. Time to accomplish mighty works.

Next performance: Tomorrow night! Yes! Monday!

2005 Playlist
Sixteen Military Wives - The Decemberists
Bound Too Long (Hyper Mix) - The Crystal Method
That's How I Know - D'Nell
Every Day Is Exactly The Same - Nine Inch Nails
Tear You Apart - She Wants Revenge
Water of Nazareth - Justice
Solsbury Hill (12" Version) - Erasure
Summer Skin - Death Cab For Cutie
Do You Want To - Franz Ferdinand

Hmn. 2005. Boring.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Dammit! I'm sorry the house was small. YOUR WORK DESERVES BETTER.

And I am particularly sorry that I could not personally attend, but I think I have a pretty valid reason, being in UTAH and all.

pengo said...

See, this is what I am talking about. EXCUSES.

Most everyone I know professionally are coming on Monday (tomorrow.) I am very excited about it.

Alicia at Poise in Parma said...

I was very happy to be one of those twelve people in the crowd last night. I understand it can be disheartening, but I highly enjoyed both pieces - for very different reasons.

Hoping the word-of-mouth (including that coming from my big one) can help increase those numbers for the rest of the run.

Congrats on a beautiful production.

pengo said...

I was SO HAPPY to see you there last night - and your mom. I love being able to make eye contact with everyone in this show, and you two were very supportive.

Don't get me wrong - I was delighted with the audience, the and I felt very, very good about the performance.