Thursday, March 27, 2008

I thought I heard the shuffle of angels' feet.

"You better run on ... for a long time ..."

And I did. The past several days have been hellish.

Warning: Poop.

We returned from NYC safely enough, and had our traditional Monday night pizza with our dance class friends.

The next morning I had the runs. I felt a little sheepish leaving work early due to a bout of diarrhea (blame my mother) and not a little concerned about soiling the driver's seat of my car. I needn't have worried - by the time I got home I was no longer running. I was blocked.

And it wasn't the food. Our friends reported no ill effects and we had shared the same pizza and a big salad. The wife had a class to teach and I took care of the kids and it was awful. I discovered I could only relax without pain if I were lying down ... but that's hard to do with kids, especially when you need to feed them, put them in peejays and get them into bed.

By nighttime my back was aching terribly, and every time I sat on the toilet, I would get nothing but serious abdominal cramps for my efforts. Credit the feminist in me that I was overwhelmed with thoughts of how grueling childbirth had been for my wife if I felt like this.

By Wednesday things were progressing, in a manner of speaking, though things are still not ... solidified. But OMG did it feel good to get out and move. It made my insides feel good, it made my back feel good, it just felt good, good goody-good.

Run stats:
Distance: 3.25 miles
Weight: 171 lbs.
Stretches: yes
Push-ups: 10
Sit-ups: 29 - and then I realized I shouldn't press my luck.
Temperature: 39º (Really? 39º? I don't believe you.)
Weather: cool ... but not 39º. Couldn't be.
Gear: long-sleeve shirt, windbreaker, hat, shorts, gloves

1999 Playlist
Leo Ryan (Our Pharoah's Slave) - Lilys
Push Upstairs - Underworld
What Would Brian Boitano Do? - South Park soundtrack
Big Pimpin - Jay-Z ft. UGK
Run On - Moby
In the Street - Cheap Trick
Lullaby of Clubland - Everything But the Girl
    (Last Year's 1999 Playlist)
    Five Fathoms - Everything But the Girl
    All Star - Smashmouth
    Accepting Applications At University - Lilys
    Cups - Underworld
UPDATE: Neglected to mention ... the strain on my abdomen has made the area around the hernia operation I had in 1995 inflamed. It hurt for two days, and I worried (as I have worried for thirteen years now) that it was time for another operation. Today, nothing. "As you hear from me, so think of me."

No comments: