Monday, February 23, 2009

Don't believe in anything that you can't break

Nothing like a demented dash through the darkened, sub-freezing streets.

Applications for the 2009 NYC Marathon are now open. I deferred last year due to blowing out my left knee. I can receive automatic entry if I re-apply before midnight on May 1. The question is: will I blow out my right knee before or after I apply?

And speaking of injuries ... my right foot. Big sigh. I used to have plantar warts, and much to my continued disbelief, they are gone. But I do have (I shudder to state this) a bunion.

When I think of the word bunion I think of words like goiter and cancer of the lip. Crackers get bunions, or at the very least, old people.

It's basically like this, my big toe is bending towards my others toes, and the major joint of that toe is beginning to jut to the other direction, towards my left foot, to compensate. Sometimes it is more visibly noticeable. Sometimes it tingles in a disturbing fashion.

I use toe separators, which helps. I concentrate on rolling properly through my foot. It goes away from time to time. It comes back. It's back.

As in all things, I blame my parents. I broke my leg in seventh grade, and used a walking cast for a while. Those are dumb, they shouldn't make those. I am pretty sure they don't anymore, at least not like this. It was like having a pivot on the base of my foot, which encouraged me to twist my foot to the outside - because I was wearing a cast. I couldn't bend my ankle.

So my right foot naturally splays out to the right when I walk, run or do anything, really. I didn't know any better. Where was the physical therapy?

God, what would have happened to me if I had been in physical therapy. Might have changed my life. Or maybe just another thing to strenuously avoid doing.

1995 Playlist
Mama Told Me (Not To Come) - The Wolfgang Press
Making Plans For Nigel - The Rembrandts
Under - Filter
Stupid Girl - Garbage
Girl U Want - Devo
Cupid DeLocke - Smashing Pumpkins
Big Apple Boogaloo - Brooklyn Funk Essentials

Distance: 3.25 miles
Temperature: 21º
Weight: 152 lbs.

No comments: