Monday, February 22, 2010

No one can stop me from running



Someone I knew in high school died the other day. Actually, I didn't know him from high school, I knew him from childhood. We were in Indian Guides together. He played at my house, in my bedroom. People in my class have died before, but not many. Two car accidents, one suicide. I am trying to think of others. I do not know the facts yet about how this man died, but I think he was very ill.

Several years ago I was stopping by a store in my hometown. I looked a lot like I do now, balding with a goatee. I saw the guy behind the counter, someone I hadn't seen since graduation.

"Can I help you?" he asked. I paused for a moment.

I said, "Hey, Bob."

He took a very brief moment and said, "Hey, Karl."

And then he sold me some shoelaces.

1987 Playlist
Pump Up the Volume - M/A/R/R/S
Big Love - Fleetwood Mac
Hourglass - Squeeze
Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley
I Want Your (Hands On Me) - Sinéad O'Connor
The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson
Stop Me If You Heard This One Before - The Smiths

Distance: 3 miles
Temperature: 39º
Weather: overcast
Road conditions: wet
Weight: 155 lbs. - bingo.

No comments: