Sunday, February 14, 2010

There's no other way to go



Hey! Brian's gonna run 5K at the Cleveland!

Since his heart attack last year he has lost a significant amount of weight - Jesus, he looks 28 again. Says he's gonna go the 5K May 19 just to say - there, I can do that, now I don't ever have to again.

1988 Playlist
Mary, Mary - Run-D.M.C.
Shake Your Thing - Salt-N-Pepa ft. E.U.
Left to My Own Devices - Pet Shop Boys
End of the Line - Traveling Wilburys
What I Am - Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians
Simply Irresistible - Robert Palmer
Tropical Flesh Mandala - Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - The Proclaimers
Stand - R.E.M.
It Takes Two - Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock
Kinda I Want To (demo) - Nine Inch Nails
All She Wants Is - Duran Duran

My knees hurt. No way I am keeping to the schedule these days - 8 miles? Not today, no thank you. But I'll get there.

Distance: 5.75 miles
Temperature: 30º
Weather: mildly cold
Road conditions: snowy, crispy, largely unshoveled - kept to the side streets
Weight: 156.5 lbs.

At 156.6, down from 162. This is how we do this - choices. Long day at work, really hungry? I hit the sundries and get the BANANA (60 cents) and not the CHIPS (99 cents.) I imagine the chips in my mouth, dusty, fake, unsatisfying. And I get the banana.

I am also chewing a lot of gum. Hungry? Pop in another piece of gum. Great God almighty, they invented gum that is actually good for your teeth. My mom used to lecture me that sugarless gum is only less-bad for your teeth, but this stuff actually cleans and protects teeth. You know how I know? My teeth are cleaner and healthier than they have been since elementary school.

This morning I had two poached eggs on buttered toast instead of the french toast I was offered.

And it doesn't hurt to have friends who serve fresh, homemade vegetarian sushi at their kids' birthday parties. Gimme some of that cucumber wrapped in plain rice wrapped in seaweed!

I want to be 155 and stay 155. That's it. It's not asking for much. I just want to fit in these pants.

No comments: