Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Death on two legs



So Brian comes up to me last night and asks why it is that you can feel so horrible running that first mile, like you just want to quit, breathing hurts, all your muscles screaming ... but by the time you have passed the three mile mark, you feel like you could just keep going, that you have to choose to stop?

All I could say was:
1. I've been there.
2. It doesn't last forever ... but it does take months.
3. I have no idea why this is.
He was wondering whether it had anything to endorphins, but really, he had no idea what he was talking about. Endorphins, sure, whatever. Pathetic, really.

Here, this is the best way I can explain it - I have a car, right? It's not a new car, it's like, 41 years-old or something. And it's been in the garage for the winter. Actually, no, let's say it's never left the garage. But one day I decide to start it up. And guess what? It makes all these noises, like it's in pain or something. But it keeps going, it keeps trying to turn over, and I'm proud of it, I really am - and after a while, it just starts purring! Running like a fit, old, but perfectly acceptable machine!

That is a metaphor.

1975 Playlist
Shining Star - Earth Wind & Fire
Love Is The Drug - Roxy Music
Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To ...) - Queen
Low Rider - WAR
Love Rollercoaster - Ohio Players
Say You Love Me - Fleetwood Mac
Mamma Mia - ABBA
The Hustle - Van McCoy and the Soul City Symphony

ABBA got inducted into the Rock Hall and your favorite band didn't. Aw, boo.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Temperature: 37º
Weather: brisk
Road conditions: dry
Weight: 153.5 lbs.

2 comments:

Brian said...

You forget to mention that the 41-year-old car that's never left the garage also still has a ton of junk in the trunk.

So yeah, I get it. It's crazy what a little Gumout in the carburetor and a higher grade of fuel will do for that old jalopy, too.

That's why I've started chugging shots of WD-40 prior to exercising.

pengo said...

Drove that metaphor right into the ground, didn't you?