Saturday, October 03, 2015

Get out of the way.

Spoonbridge and Cherry
Yesterday was one, big, successful check list. It began by sleeping in, at least for as long as possible. I get up at 5 AM on a normal day, that's 4 AM here. I did manage to wake and then go back to sleep long enough to achieve some semblance of rest. It's just how my brain works.

My brother and I headed out in late morning to drive the entire route of the marathon. This was good, as I am now aware of certain long inclines, and generally know what I have to look forward to. For example, when I pass Spoonbridge and Cherry there is a long steady incline past the Walker Arts Center.

Footnote: Spoonbridge and Cherry at the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden is by Claes Oldenburg and Coosje van Bruggen, the team who (figuratively) gave Cleveland The Free Stamp.

We got turned around a lot around the many lakes, and I carped that my brother was making the race seem a lot longer than it actually is. But we got straight by the second half, which is pretty much north to the East Franklin Avenue Bridge and then East to the State House.

But there is Mile 21. It is a steady incline, for an entire mile. We are not safe until we have passed the 22 mile marker and are heading due east on Summit Avenue. And that is the distance at which I began to cash out last time. It is good to know.

Then we proceeded to the Expo at the Saint Paul RiverCentre, which for those who have never attended one is like a runner's mall. There are kiosks of product for runners and its very crowded and busy and you always have to pick up your bib number in the back to make sure everyone buys something. I told my brother it would be quick, that I wasn't there to do any shopping, and yet I found myself lingering over the displays, hoping to find a new glasses strap. I did pick up a few gel packs and we headed back onto the street.

Big river.
Interesting ... unlike any other of the races (Kids' race, 5K, 10K) the marathon runners don't receive their shirt until the finish line.  This was new to me, I wonder the logic behind it. Why would organizers want to handle the additional headache of bringing thousands of shirts to the race on Sunday? Has there been a rash of individuals registering for the race, getting their shirt, not running it and then fraudulently claiming that they had?

It's always an exciting vibe, though. Seeing all the different kinds of people who run races like these. And today was Friday, tomorrow the joint is going to be packed.

After we met up with my sister-in-law for lunch, and then a trip to Goodwill for a cheap set of sweats. I got an awesome hooded MINNESOTA shirt I wish I could keep and some boss pants to keep me warm until the race starts Sunday morning.

Distance: 3 miles
Duration: 25:30
Avg Pace: 8:28
Route: Summit Avenue

Brisk morning run, low sun and somewhat blinding. It will be very cool tomorrow when we set out, I may begin the run in this sweatshirt, I do not know, it will collect a lot of sweat and losing it will make me cold. But I do not want to wear shirtsleeves.

I will run with the 8:35 group. I have been able to maintain eight and a half minutes very well throughout my training. And that will help me break my previous time. Because that's the plan.

Temperature: 43°
Climate: sunny & cool
Intake: none
Hydration: yes

What's That Lyric?
Houses In Motion - Talking Heads

No comments: