Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Thank you. Next?

At my fiftieth birthday party last August, Chris, whom I run with, and his girlfriend Allie, who I occasionally also run with, gave me a very thoughtful birthday present. They would pay the entry fee for any race in 2019.

Now, Chris and I have run a couple (miserable, but for the company) half marathons together. But he has not yet completed a full, 26.2 mile marathon. I asked if we could run one of those together as my gift, and they agreed. We all three applied to the Chicago Marathon. Chris got in, Allie and I did not.

However, there are other opportunities to register for a marathon, most notably to join a fund raising team, and I do love raising money for a good cause. I am very happy to announce I was accepted into the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation "Team Challenge" for the 2019 Chicago Marathon, October 13, 2019.

Distance: 2.45 miles
Pace: 9:12
Route: Lee Road Loop

So, yeah. I spite of my last post, or rather because of it, I will continue to run. Not only run, but to marathon. This will be my fourth. I think I can make it. For the first time I will have a partner to run with, too!

But why the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation? Why this cause, why this fight? That is easy to explain.

My older brother Denison has lived with ulcerative colitis his entire life. I have watched him struggle for those periods when it has been most difficult to deal with, but I have also heard his relief as he has told me about recent and increasingly effective treatment, advancement that would not be possible without support and funding.

That's why.

My lead donor, of course, is Chris Fornadel, ponying up the fee for the race to the cause. Thank you, Chris and Allie! But I need your help. Visit my Team Challenge page, and kick in for a great cause and to get me to Chicago on time!

Temperature: 36°
Climate: cool, light rain
Mood: determined

It is also the beginning of a New Year, and you know what that means.

Ladies and Gentlemen. 56 Playlists for 56 Years (1964-2019.)

2018 Playlist
The Spot - Your Smith
thank u, next -  Ariana Grande
Gold Rush - Death Cab for Cutie
How Did This Happen?! - Bodega
Damned For All Time/Blood Money - Brandon Victor Dixon, Jin Ha, Norm Lewis
All The Stars - Kendrick Lamar ft. SZA
Bad Bad News - Leon Bridges

Today: 179.5 lbs.
Goal: 175 lbs.

We eat what we want. We drink what we want. Holiday's over. Get back to work.

Hard run. Walked a great deal on the inclines, it's like starting all over again. It's about breathing. The lungs need to get back to their former glory. I do not like panting while I run.

No comments: