Friday, October 11, 2019

Interlude

CLE in CHI
We are in Chicago. And by we I mean Chris, Allie and I. We began this journey together and we will finish it together, I on the course, and they showing support.

We decided upon the train. Chris had never taken Amtrak! I am not certain, but I believe I have not taken a train since before we had living children. I wondered if it was the same, or if cutbacks had made it unpleasant.

Rest assured, it's the same. Wide seats, and plenty of them. Years of legroom. We boarded at three in the morning, and I stayed awake for a short while, writing, looking out into the darkness. And while coach is not the most comfortable place to sleep, sleep I did.

It's very relaxing taking the train. No one rushes about, it is a very not-tense way to travel. And quite possibly the cheapest. I keep waiting for the airline industry to collapse, but it won't. The government will continue to prop up planes, and Amtrak will go the way of the streetcar and the stagecoach.

Chicago was raining was when we arrived at Union Station, and we had a choice; take our car to Andersonville and drop off our things first, or to head straight for the Expo.

We chose the latter. I am quite used to carrying my bags with me through crowded spaces, and we successfully got our packets (Chris calls it the $200 T-shirt) and I was able to get a new glasses strap and some yummy, yummy gels.

We are staying at the apartment of Chris's best friend Ben. It's a beautiful place, and a real Chicago townhouse, with a wood pantry off the kitchen, cabinets in the short halls between rooms. It is a gift to be able to stay at a place like this, on a weekend like this.

Apart from a bagel just before the train arrived, however, we had not had anything to eat. "Breakfast" was at 1:00 PM (CT) at Pauline's Breakfast which was just exactly what was necessary, in sustenance and decor.

A little later there's a reception for members of TEAM CHALLENGE, and our apartment is literally a five minute walk from the Neo-Futurists ... so guess what we're doing tonight?

No comments: