Saturday, October 12, 2019

Pre-Marathon Two-Miler

Took a two-mile pre-race run with Allie, up Foster Avenue to Lake Michigan. That was a very good idea, not just because that's the thing you're supposed to do, but I have gotten really freaked out about the weather.

Allie keeps saying how perfect the forecast is. Yes, dry is paramount, I would be miserable if it were due to rain, downright maudlin. It would be like saying goodbye to all my toenails. But it's supposed to be in the mid-40s tomorrow, and I would prefer the mid-50s.

And yet, it was the mid-40s  this morning and it felt all right. I have my disposable cold weather sweatsuit, and think I can manage in shorts. The wind will be a challenge, but I just don't want to wear long pants.

We are Team Challenge!
Distance: 2 miles
Duration: 19:41
Pace: 9:51
Route: Foster Avenue to Lake Michigan and Back
Temperature: 45°
Climate: sunny & cold
Mood: getting better
Stretches: oh, uh. no.
Water: yes

Met up with all the Team Challenge folks at Bar Louie last night, got to chat up some of the organizers, runners, and supporters, and to enjoy a fine Goose Island IPA. I was hardly the one who had traveled farthest to be here. For several this will be their first marathon, and I was feeding off their excitement.

The plan is to meet up at the Congress Plaza Hotel tomorrow morning at 6:30, a warm place to gather before heading into the elements. This is a welcome invitation, as so many marathons I have attended require hours of standing around outside in the cold until the start.

It was pretty brisk out last night, but Chris, Allie and I still did a little walk around that neighborhood after the meet-up in search of dessert, and I found Gordo's which makes hand-dipped ice cream bars. Perfect!

We closed the evening seeing The Infinite Wrench, which is literally one block from where we are staying. It's always fascinating to me to share the Neo-Futurists with new people. It has been some time.

No comments: