Sunday, October 20, 2019

Random thoughts on the race.

With Con & Nell, Oct. 13, 2019
This will be unpleasant.

The large band-aids (nipple protectors) fell off around mile ten. Like, both of them, within a quarter mile of each other, just started sliding down my torso. The lesson here, trim chest hair no less than a week to five days beforehand. (Trim too close to the run and you will be a miserable, itchy madman.)

These shoes. I reported an unhappy toenail incident when I ran the twenty mile, my first long run with these shoes. Well, I think I may have killed most of the toenails on my right foot. It's too early to tell but they are all very tender and bruised. Ditto a few on the left foot. Hate to be a hater, but I think it's the shoes. The soles are just a little too soft, not enough support.

Seriously. These shoes trashed all my toenails.

Spent the week answering people's queries about the race. "How did it go?" I feel like an idiot when I answer, "it was hard."  Of course it was hard, it's a marathon! But this was harder. I wanted to enjoy it more. Memories of previous races I don't recall the pain. Perhaps that is what I will be left with for Chicago.

It truly was a beautiful day.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Duration: 28:43
Pace: 8:49
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 64°
Climate: perfect
Mood: not bad

Since the race I have been eating. Eating everything. No abandon. Not exactly true, I have been avoiding sweets. But fats, I'm all over that. Okay, a week. You had a week. It's time to exhibit traditional restraint. I think I can manage that.

Baseline: 179.5 lbs.
Today: 170 lbs. (+2.5)
Goal: 160 lbs.

Okay, I love running again.

No comments: