Sunday, December 30, 2007

Stone cold munching

Yes, I signed up for the Cleveland (Half) Marathon. Not heard good things about "The Cleveland" ... this past year they famously tacked on a few extra miles to the 10K when the lead car took a wrong turn, and folks in Akron were telling me finish line refreshments are limited to potato chips and apple juice. ("Cleveland+" indeed.)

But hey, if I can't schedule training for a 26.2 every year, I can at least fit in a Halfer every year, maybe even twice a year. And as long as it is in town, why not? What is disappointing is that my favorite part of the route is the second half, which follows a route I am all-too-familiar with, down MLK and the Shoreway.

Meanwhile, if you didn't check this one out last month, here's a piece that might piss off a good number of you. I know it did me:

How Oprah Ruined the Marathon - Salon.com 11/3/2007
America's competitive spirit has been wrecked by feel-good amateurs like Oprah whose only goal is to stagger across the finish line.

So blame race organizers for making such events open to anyone. Then go f*ck yourself, you fascist.

Stats:
Distance: 3.25 miles
Weight: 174.5 lbs.
Stretches: yes
Sit-Ups: 40
Snack: Zone Perfect Bar
Drink: Gatorade
Start Time: 2.40 pm
Temperature: 32º
Weather: cold
Gear: Long-sleeve, thermal jacket - but with shorts and no gloves. Got away with it because there was no wind, otherwise that may have been painful.

I took care of the children. I made lunch. I washed dishes. I earned this.

Playlist: (In alphabetical order!)
The Boy in the Bubble - Paul SImon
The Boys - Dragonette
Brand New Colony - The Postal Service
Burn - Nine Inch Nails
Bust a Move - Young MC
Busy Child - The Crystal Method
Cooldown: Call On Me (Radio Edit) - Eric Prydz

No comments: