Tuesday, December 25, 2012

All this year's been a busy blur, don't think I have the energy.


Okay. So, the fact remains. Since I began either running barefoot or using zero-drop shoes, I have been experiencing tightness in my soleus muscle which causes pain and can make it difficult to walk without taking baby steps.

This pain only exists for a short period following rest (sleeping at night) or sitting for an extended period of time, as in a chair or worse, crisscross on the floor. Walking makes it feel better, standing exacerbates the pain.

Odder still, it is largely concentrated in the right leg, little or not at all in the left. Why do it do this?

"I was making rather merry last night."
- Bob Cratchit, A Christmas Carol

And if by last night you mean this morning, so was I. The girl couldn't sleep and joined us in our bed at 5 AM but though she was able to get back to sleep, I was not. I sat up and read and wrote, my mother-in-law encouraging me to get at least a few minutes rest before the festivities began at 7, which I did.

It was a glorious morning, I was spoiled with presents of great function received with extreme appreciation including winter gloves, knit hat and a Current hoodie. An early morning spent drinking coffee & Bailey's was followed by a late morning sipping several Guinness at the Skull.

By 1 PM I was ready for bed, waking a short while later with something like a hangover. Because that's how the human body works. In spite of a natural desire to stay in bed for the rest of the day, I chose instead to get up and out, which could either go well or very, very poorly. 

Temperature: 35°
Distance: 3 miles

Holiday Run Playlist
Feels Like Christmas - Cyndi Lauper
Snowman - XTC
Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney
Hot Christmas - Squirrel Nut Zippers
Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses
Holiday - Vampire Weekend
Carol of the Bells - The Bird and the Bee
Holiday - Green Day

Cooldown:
I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake

I returned feeling like a new and sober man, a brisk three mile run and holiday music buzzing in my ears. The Christmas you get you deserve, indeed.

Good boy.

No comments: