Thursday, December 27, 2012

Why is the last mile the hardest mile?


You may have noticed that there is a list of RUNNING BLOGS featured at right. I had added several of the "official" CLE Bloggers to the list last season, but as most were inconsistent in their posting (many of which included the tired refrain of "sorry I do not blog more") and not very interesting, I recently pulled them down to include only those which I actually read.

Two blogs of my favorite blogs are coincidentally from Brooklyn.

Live To Run/Run to Live chronicles the trials (get it?) of Cris Dopher, professional lighting designer, who also happens to live with Cystic Fibrosis. Our first meeting was interesting, because I got naked. No seriously, he heard about my show in the NY Fringe and showed up to check it out and that is how we met. When I begin whining about my physical condition, I check out his blog and that gives me some perspective. His determination is truly inspiring. He's also opinionated in the best way.

I cannot recall exactly how I became interested in What You Do Not Know Because You Are Not Me! which is a stupid name but a very funny blog, I think I started following it during the 2009 Fringe and never stopped.  Recently he has been including his own images of poor Coney Island, which is not so funny, but I am happy for the updates.

Just yesterday I added a new blog, Run Away From Trouble -- new to me, but also just new, as its author has only just begun this work today. A wife, mother and teacher, a long-time contact teacher for the school residency program, in her first entry Stephani promises to share her own personal, emotional connection to running, and its practical uses in keeping her body and soul together. I'm really looking forward to it.

Finally, Poise In Parma is a professional, exceptionally well-maintained blog chronicling not only running, yoga and diet, but also a wide variety of exciting Cleveland events. This one is kept by my former co-worker and friend Alicia Hansen, who is not related to me, so please do not hold anything found in my blog against her.

If there are other, strong, running-related blogs, especially ones based in Cleveland, please let me know about them so I can check those out. For a blogroll of great Cleveland oriented (i.e. not running) blogs, please see my list on Cleveland Centennial.

Temperature: 29°
Climate: Icy
Distance: 4 miles

That was the best run of the week, in spite of the icy pavement. I almost entirely wiped out, once, on a decline, catching myself on the crispy grass. I pulled my headphones off to listen to a large flock of geese move from the river to the bank. One of them scolded me with great umbrage.

Running every day makes running easier and more enjoyable. Do you see? 

It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) Genius Playlist
Shiny Happy People - R.E.M. ft. Kate Pierson
Is It Really So Strange - The Smiths
Alex Chilton (164 bpm)  - The Replacements
See a Little Light - Bob Mould
It's Alright For You (171 bpm) - The Police
The Electric Co. (163 bpm) - U2
Earn Enough For Us - XTC
Catapult - R.E.M.
Beyond Belief - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Blood & Roses - The Smithereens
I'll Be You - The Replacements
Dreamworld (159 bpm) - Midnight Oil

Now that's a good college music playlist.

5 comments:

Alicia at Poise in Parma said...

You are too kind for those kind words about my blog, Mr. (non-related) Hansen. I'm glad you refreshed your listing, especially glad about adding Stephani. Always nice to see new people starting blogs. Here's to happy winter running...

pengo said...

I don't sound *too* bitter about the CLE Marathon ... do I?

Alicia at Poise in Parma said...

BWAHAHA... no, just moderately bitter :)

chickenunderwear said...

If I am going to give you something to read, why should it be something you already know.

Happy New Year!

pengo said...

I stand corrected.

When I said "stupid" what I really meant was "very long".

Happy New Year!