Tuesday, October 04, 2016

She ran away.

The Best Time To Exercise To Lose Weight
By Gretchen Reynolds, The New York Times 1/23/2015
"There is some evidence that working out on an empty stomach ... prompts the body to burn more fat and potentially stave off weight gain ..."

This just popped up on my nytimes.com (in spite of being over a year and a half old) but I was a bit shocked, and not for the reason you might expect.

When I was twenty-two and first started running with any kind of fervor, I was desperate to lose a lot of weight. And I noticed that when I ran on an empty stomach I felt a burning sensation which I thought, entirely without scientific basis what so ever, must be helping me to burn away fat.

It was also probably burning away muscle and the lining of my stomach. But to find that there is a certain truth to this childish theory comes a quite a surprise.

Of course, this is what they warn you when you are training for a marathon that you won't lose weight. Because if you are training properly, you are taking in fuel to burn as you run, and recovery fuel afterwards. So, no weight loss. Just good, healthy running.

You want to lose weight? Exercise and don't eat anything. That's what I used to do. I used to smoke, too. I used to do all kinds of stupid things.

Distance: 3.3 miles
Route: Forest Hill Loop

Fall For Forest Hill 5K Run/Walk, Sunday, October 16 at 9:00 AM. Who's in?

Temperature: 66°
Climate: cool and humid
Mood: good. okay? I'm good right now.

Honey taking her run at soccer practice where the kids are. Things are good. Right? Yes. Yes, they are. Keep telling yourself that.

Sunshine Superman Playlist
Season of the Witch - DonovanRunaway - Del Shannon
Sloop John B - The Beach Boys
Ferry Cross the Mersey - Gerry & The Pacemakers
Tequila - Champs
Hang On Sloopy - The McCoys
Good Lovin' - The Rascals
Magic Bus - The Who
Windy - The Association

YOU GUYS. Ever run to Tequila? That is my shit right there.

No comments: