Sunday, July 04, 2021

It's easier to run away.

We got free Bob Feller jerseys!
What a week! A long, challenging week. But also, a week of revelation and discovety. That's good, you know?

A few ngihts ago I dreamed I was running a marathon. But this was no ordinary race. The route led me up mountains and across giant misshapen stone sculptures. It should have been a difficult trek, but I was doing very well, fleet of foot and remarkably agile.

I was also, I was informed, in the lead! In a marathon? Amazing! There was, however, a blonde man following close behind me, and so it was no longer enough to run. I had to maintain my lead.

Then there was a place where the stone beneath my feet broke through and I fell, maybe fifteen or twenty feet, straight down. I feared I might break a leg, or damage the bones in my feet. But I landed soft, cushioned by the springy bending of my amazing knees. I was okay! But I had been overtaken by the blonde runner.

When I got out from under this giant stone mountain, I found myself in a middle school library, one that was very crowded. I didn’t know which was to turn or how to get out. It was clear the blonde man had made it through, but I could not. There was a conveyor belt for books, but I could not fit onto them. I could not make my way through the library. I was increasingly distressed as I ran through stacks and time passed and I was stuck in this labyrinthine building.

Eventually, a fun size candy bar appeared in my pocket and it read “Congratulations!” on the label but it wasn’t for me. Rather, it was an announcement that the blonde man had crossed the finish line, and I felt defeated. 

A version of this tale appears in my blog, Cleveland Centennial.

Distance: 3.6 miles
Duration: 34:46
Pace: 9:39
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 75°
Climate: sunny & bright
Mood: good, dammit!
Weight: 176 lbs. (-1.0)

I ate all teh things the past few days, steak, fish & chips, a hot dog. It's a holiday weekend, and I have been enjoying myself, but not stuffing myself.

The Current A-to-Z Weekend
Make It Better - Anderson Paak ft. Smokey Robinson
Make Me Feel - Janelle Monae
Make You Better - The Decemberists
Makes No Sense at All * - Husker Du
Making Time - The Creation
Malamenta (Cap.1 Augurio) - Rosalia
Mama Said Knock You Out - LL Cool J
Man on the Moon - R.E.M.
Manipulator - Ty Seagall

There are seveal excellent songs which capture the melancholy and joy of the Gen X childhood. 1979 by Smashing Pumkpins, for one. In My Garage by Weezer. Grade 9 by Barenaked Ladies.

Man on the Moon is not one of these songs. God, "Automatic For the People" ruined that band.

Seriously, I am disturbed. That was a nearly perfect running playlist. Should have played any version of Mama Told Me Not to Come instead.

No comments: