Saturday, April 07, 2012

When everything that dies shall rise.


Staying at the in-laws, I woke in the middle of the night, my left instep in pain. Perhaps it was the way the covers were too tight, I had given myself some kind of strain ... but that part of my foot has been aching the past several days. Now I can barely walk.

So. Why? The shoes are relatively new, but not that new. I have been running in them for over a month. I was wearing a new pair of flip-flops last night ... for less than an hour. Then there are the chukka boots I wear for Velocity. I was encouraged to wear them around, to make them appear less new. So I wear them all the time. But they provide little support.

I stretch, I wonder, I worry. Karl proposed that running a 20 so early in training I am going to blow out my knees. But this is really a game of "surprise," isn't it? This morning I convinced myself it would be all right to stick to my plan to run three or four today, and thirteen tomorrow.


Distance: 13 miles 14.25 miles
Route: Hocking River Half Marathon

... then again, when presented with a day like this, with no responsibilities, someone else to look after your children (teaching them each how to ride a dirtbike, no less) your wife has sequestered herself to write, the sun is up, the clouds are gone, the weather is pleasant, and you have already put in a solid morning doing nothing but writing, how on earth can one possibly justify not running for two hours?

By the way, I got the map wrong, and ran an additional mile and a quarter by accident. What a shame.

Temperature: 61º
Climate: effucking gloriourifous
Snack: two bananas
Hydration? all along the route!
Stretches? oops. kinda.

Do You Believe In Shame Genius Playlist
Praying For Time - George Michael
Promises, Promises - Naked Eyes
If You Were Here - The Thompson Twins
When Love Breaks Down - Prefab Sprout
Face To Face - Siouxsie & the Banshees
Lay Your Hands On Me - The Thompson Twins
Shoot The Dog - George Michael
Over You - Roxy Music
Three Imaginary Boys (170 bpm) - The Cure
Edge of America - Duran Duran
The Strangest Thing - George Michael
Loving The Alien - David Bowie
Dazzle - Siouxsie & the Banshees
Come Undone (Come Undub) (177 bpm) - Duran Duran
The Swing - INXS
The Perfect Girl - The Cure
Now We're Getting Somewhere (157 bpm) - Crowded House
Dominion/Mother Russia - The Sisters of Mercy
Kiss Them For Me - Siouxsie & the Banshee
Slow Emotion Replay - The The
Bad Boys - Wham!
Fortress Around Your Heart - Sting
Hard Day - George Michael
It Doesn't Really Matter - George Michael
Something To Save - George Michael
Head Over Heels - Tears For Fears
Love Is Stronger Than Death - The The
Message To My Girl - Split Enz
Too Late Marlene - Duran Duran
Late Bar - Duran Duran

I really like George Michael.

No comments: