Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Running wild and looking pretty.

Yesterday I woke earlier than usual, I was going round and round in my head about that period in time when it all became confused, the transition from childhood to adolescence (not yet even puberty) when joy and fun and play were supplanted by fear and doubt and crippling self-consciousness.

Fifth and sixth grade. Transition into middle school. The years were 1978 and 1979, just before 1980, which was actually much the same. I was obsessing over the songs, and there were a lot of songs, that had to do with fucking. This is not an exciting concept when you are ten or eleven years old. It is terrifying.

At the same time, there are boys who live to make you miserable. And girls who unintentionally make you misterable. Anyway, I made a short playlist and those are the tunes in my head this week. 

Distance: 2 miles
Duration: 17:31
Pace: 8:45
Route: Two times around the block.
Temperature: 63°
Climate: bright & beautiful
Mood: all right?
Weight: 181 lbs. (+2.0)

There are cookies.

Brisk, short run. Remembered to plank before we started. Lots of running into the street to make way for dog walkers. Running every day can wear me down. I am feeling it now in my knees. So?

Pathetic Geek Stories Playlist
Just What I Needed - The Cars
Hot Child in the City - Nick Gilder
Good Girls Don't - The Knack
Dream Police - Cheap Trick
Does Your Mother Know - ABBA
Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor Doctor) - Robert Palmer

All of these are in appropriate for an eleven year-old. Even one who searches in the municipal dump with his friends for Playboys.

No comments: