Saturday, November 21, 2020

Down in the park.

Recently Forbes Magazine (of all places) wrote a piece commemorating the 40th anniversary of the movie Times Square, and more importantly the accompanying soundtrack. My wife believes she saw the movie first on Night Flight some time in the mid-80s which checks out. 

I didn't see it until some fifteen or more years ago when the girl was a baby. I got that and Ladies and Gentlemen ... The Fabulous Stains from the late B-Ware Video on Madison for a punk double feature. She came home from work and I was waiting on the front step with my jeans cuffed and my black Chuck's on and my Ramones T-shirt and had two lunchbags that each had a hotdog, a bag of chips and a Coke for dinner. That was a good night.

Distance: 3.1 miles
Duration: 28:45
Pace: 9:16
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 45°
Climate: overcast & nice
Mood: all right
Weight: 181 lbs. (+3.0) *shrug*
Plank Challenge: 150 seconds

My brother was in college from 1980-1985 and acted as a kind of repository of hip, the way an older brother is supposed to do. He had the soundtrack and I listened to that a lot, buying my own copy from Schoolkids' Records when I went to college in the late 1980s. It was an education. Read the Forbes article, apparently it was meant to be.

I put together a playlist of the songs from the record, not all of them are available. I miss having Take This Town by XTC.

Times Square (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Rock Hard - Suzi Quatro
Talk of the Town - The Pretenders
Same Old Scene - Roxy Music
Down in the Park - Gary Numan/Tubeway Army
Life During Wartime - Talking Heads
Pretty Boys - Joe Jackson
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
Babylon's Burning - The Ruts
Walk On the Wild Side - Lou Reed

No comments: