Friday, October 08, 2021

Only God knows what you gone do.

Max Temesu
Sugar season has begun. My cravings lead me to cornershops to get Pop Tarts. Before class I get a bag of M&Ms, every class. Soon, there will be Halloween candy, probably even before Halloween, set out in bowls in various places. Then the cookies.

I must be careful. I must be vigilant.

Distance: 3.1 miles
Duration: 29:50
Pace: 9:37
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 64°
Climate: overcast & damp
Mood: angsty
Weight: 172 lbs. (-1.0)

Spent a week bingeing the Lolita Podcast. That made for a troubling week, but it's so well researched and has so much to say about the way we think about child abuse.

Nabokov's book is too well-made. My dad loved his work, though he wasn't necessarily a fan of this one. Lolita is the confession of a pedophile who kidnaps and rapes a twelve year-old girl for an entire year. If that doesn't sound like what you thought the story was about, it is understandable, as the novel has been wildly misinterpreted in popular culture.

The book jacket featured here is not from any actual publication, but artwork by someone who I feel has best captured the actual narrative. Google the book title and "cover art" and you will probably see hundreds of sexualized images of seductive teenagers, coupled with a few more-nuanced graphics.

Why am I writing about this? Not sure. I'm thinking.

Intake
Breakfast: coffee (2x), sunbutter on rice cake
Drink: Gatorade
Lunch: ramen
Dinner: shrimp tempura roll, mango bubble "tea"
Cocktail: Big, fat old fashioned
Snack: cheese & crackers
Also: fizzy water (2x)

What's That Lyric?
The Message - Grand Master Flash & the Furious Five

No comments: