Thursday, January 19, 2006

The iPod

Weight: 170.5 lbs.
Distance: 2 miles
Water: yes
Stretches: yes
Weather: Cool & sunny
Playlist:
Lebanese Blonde - Thievery Corporation
Brand New Colony - The Postal Service
Wannabe - Spice Girls
Back To Life - Soul II Soul
Join In The Chant - Nitzer Ebb

Comments: Granted, I have an iPod which looks like it is a hundred years old. It's not scratched or beat up or anything. It's just kind of big. It's the second generation of iPods, a bit thick - it's only 10 GB. Compared to a Nano it's a tub of butter. But it's mine and I love it.

From an early age I wanted to listen to music as I ran. I don't remember the first time I took a Walkman running, it may have been as late as the early 90s. Keeping it clipped on my running pants was pointless, unless I wore a leather belt or something, it was like hanging a brick from your pants. So I wond up the cord and held it in my hand. Like holding a brick in your hand.

An iPod can be dangerous. I never ran a race wearing one until late 2004. I wanted to finish a 5 K in around twenty-one minutes, and I thought even that was pushing it. Three seven minute miles back to back? And the course included one very stupid hill. I couldn't do it.

Well, I could do it. Thanks to high BPMs I ran it in nineteen-something. Crazy. Broke twenty minutes, thanks to Apple technology.

Got my wife a Nano for her birthday. It's sleek and slim and small. I think I am going to start stealing it.

No comments: