Saturday, May 03, 2008

Whole again

Last Monday I went into the podiatrist's. I had a liquid nitrogen treatment six weeks earlier, and had been applying prescription strength acid to them. There were still thick, white layers coming away, I figured I needed another blast of pure cold.

She scraped away all the white materials ... and pronounced me clean. I was clean. They were gone.

I walked out of the office in a daze. I expected to be hobbling out, but I was striding out with the same awareness of my absence of pain as I was when I strode in.

And I began to cry. Seriously. I had no idea this was troubling me so much emotionally but it was undeniable.

At last, my foot is complete again.

It has been a week since I last ran. I will do the Cleveland in two weeks. Not a way to train.

1989 Playlist
Dreaming I Am * - Bob Mould
Eat For Two - 10,000 Maniacs
Dry County - The B-52s
Say No Go - De La Soul
Get Up! (Before The Night Is Over) - Technotronic
My Little Sister * - Michelle Shocked
The Sensual World - Kate Bush
Garden of Eartly Delights - XTC
Love Song - The Cure
Pure - Lightning Seeds
Across This Antheap - XTC
Cooldown: Shake Your Rump - Beastie Boys
    (Last Year's 1989 Playlist)
    Brave New World - Michael Penn
    Express Yourself - Madonna
    On the Greener Side - Michelle Shocked
    Cuts You Up - Peter Murphy
    On the Verge - Nicholas Robinson
    Sin - Nine Inch Nails
    Veronica - Elvis Costello
    Ana Ng - They Might Be Giants
    Bust a Move - Young MC

Run stats:
Days to Cleveland: 14
Distance: 5.15 miles
Weight: 167.5 lbs.
Stretches: yes
Temperature: 53º
Weather: RAIN

4 comments:

Jen said...

I am simultaneously so jealous and so happy for you.

pengo said...

Yes. Well. I am not yet convinced. But thank you.

Anonymous said...

Great quote there.

pengo said...

Thank you. I'd heard that line before, but never knew what it was from until Johnny Depp said it.