Tuesday, February 27, 2007

O brave new world ...

Distance: 3.25 miles
Time: 9.45 pm
Stretches: yes
Sit-ups: yes
Drink: Gatorade All Stars
Weight: 167 lbs.
Weather: 34º

1989 Playlist
Brave New World - Michael Penn
Express Yourself - Madonna
On the Greener Side - Michelle Shocked
Cuts You Up - Peter Murphy
On the Verge* - Nicholas Robinson
Sin - Nine Inch Nails
Veronica - Elvis Costello
Ana Ng - They Might Be Giants
Cooldown: Bust a Move - Young MC

"This may not be my best day ... but this ain't no golden age."

Everyone has been ill but me. Colds, flu and coughs swirl about me, but me? I am untouched. Credit palliative effects of ex-wife soup.

The shins did not scream very loudly tonight. Time for ice, wrap and painkillers.

Two years ago I attempted a race series. I registered, and attended the first event of the season, a 5 K in Akron. It went pretty weel, there was snow on the ground in Cleveland but it was merely wet there. I was out of shape, didn't make an impressive time, but the sheer number of people who came out on that blustery day was inspiring. This was a day or so before the last pope died, for those of you trying to place this weekend in history.

Less than a week later, I had a broken heel and was sidelined for the rest of the season. It is my hope, if not to sign up for the series, to attend that race this year. If my shins hold out, I may improve on that time.

Also, I need less clothes than I used to. Even tonight, it was just above freezing, and yet I felt I was wearing too much. My hat was too thick, I didn't need gloves for very long, my legs were too warm. It's a good feeling. Makes me feel much less thin-skinned than usual. God, I hate being cold.

No comments: