Sunday, November 30, 2008

Standing right on campus

South Green Three Mile

In our fourteen years together, my wife and I have never wandered around South Green. She never lived there - I did for my first two years - but she did have a boyfriend and knew others who did. It was a bizarre journey, from Uptown past the ridiculous new student union and down through East Green.

The first sign of derangement was the frat house, two doors down from the Presidents' home, abandoned with windows busted out. Heading down from the Oasis (now closed) we saw Shively, undergoing some kind of major reconstruction, fenced off and empty.

South is coeverd in graffiti, with signs indicating that students will not return for a while. Lots of windows in O'Bleness, my old dorm, marked "window broke" on slips of paper sticky taped to the frames.

It gave the impression that, ever since I left the place in 1988, that they just shut the doors and locked everything up behind me.

Distance: 3 miles
Temperature: 36 degrees

College Music Playlist
She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
Dreaming I Am - Bob Mould
The Power - Snap!
Alex Chilton * - The Replacements
The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades * - Timbuk 3
Good Times * - INXS
Waiting For The Great Leap Forward - Billy Bragg
Peace Train - 10,000 Maniacs
World In My Eyes - Depeche Mode

51 days 'til the great leap forward.

No comments: