Friday, July 23, 2010

Let it all out

Truly the longest summer ... in a very long time. (For the record, the summer of 1994 started in May and ended in November, but that is a long story for another time.)

There is too much to do and never enough time. We have these kids doing so much. I would fear the overprogramming thing ... only most of their neighborhood friends have been on vacation for a month. If we sent them outside to play, they would only sunburn and beat each other to death.

We go to the pool a lot, to cool down. Big pool summer. Both of my kids have learned to swim this year! The girl, suddenly, went from fear of putting her face underwater to moving, head-down, like a fish. And face-up, like a seal. The boy may not actually travel much distance, but he throws himself horizontal, face-down, and thrashes like hell for ten seconds at a time, going about a yard. I am so proud of both of them.

The pool is very different here and now than it was in my youth. I can only assume things got out of hand during the past. No radios, no music, no splashing, no dunking, no piggybacks. "What do they do?" Sarah-the-Caregiver asked before taking them there yesterday.

Marco Polo, of course.

My knees hurt when I left this morning. I can never run on the weekend, you might notice, so it has to be at 6 or 6.30 on a weekday. Eighty degrees! Not supposed to let off until at least Sunday. But anyway, my knees. Felt great for weeks, suddenly, my knees. Both knees. Ran anyway. Need to soak before the kids get up.

Too late.

The Reflex (Club Mix) Genius Playlist
The Reflex (Club Mix) - Duran Duran
Save a Prayer - Duran Duran
Do You Really Want to Hurt Me - Culture Club
Shout - Tears For Fears
Who Can It Be Now? - Men At Work
Hold Me Now - The Thompson Twins

Distance: 3.25 miles
Temperature: 81º
Weather: hella sweaty
Weight: 161.5 lbs.

No comments: