Thursday, August 04, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor.

Me and my cousins, and you and your cousins.
It's a line that is always running.
Overcast and cool ... but deceptive. Humid. Waiting for the rain that never arrives. Waving hello to a passing truck or SUV or Prius. Calling out "Mornin'!" to dogwalkers and old people, even though I can't hear them over all the New Wave pop.

In North Carolina my neck seized and I developed a bizarre digestive illness, here my side aches. I am impressed I can feel my arms after rowing for an hour so the boy could fish.

The extended family gathers, my cousins and their kids -- and now their kids. The eldest of my first cousin's offspring was born in 1980, my brother's girl born in 2008. Their generation spans 28 years.

Distance: 3.8 miles
Temperature: 69º

What You Need Genius Mix
I Want Your Sex - George Michael
Overkill - Men at Work
In Between Days - The Cure
Poison Arrow - ABC
Blue Monday - New Order
What I Am - Edie Brickell & the New Bohemians
Psycho Killer (Live) - Talking Heads

No comments: