Monday, August 01, 2011

Got motion.


Most of my running this summer has not been in the city in which I live. Discuss.

Following two days of highly effective and pleasant driving (my children are a blessing, they truly are) and reading almost half of Chamber of Secrets aloud (the first time I rolled out my Alan Rickman I made the wife snort) we arrived in Friendship, ancestral rental site of my kin.

There's a diner in Brunswick, one car, busted jukeboxes on every table but it's clean, terribly authentic, with one surprisingly hot waitress on at 7 pm on a Sunday night. I have been there a few times in my life, the wife had been looking forward to the place all day, and we made it just in the time, our only restaurant meal of the day. To jump the crazies out, she took them all out into the patio for calisthenics to the delight of the retired couple a few booths down. The American road trip continues to please.

Slept late -- the cabin is full right now, almost all rooms occupied, several with children. There was a bit of a mid-night circus happening for about an hour, odd snores, lone, single pleas from five year-olds, the grinding teeth of the girl. Trips to the bathroom. Another snore. I slept latest of everyone this morning, and hit the road after eight, just before the morning mist was about to burn off.

Fishing with the boy. Dogs. Sandwiches. The girl reacquaints herself with friends made last summer like they were never apart. Flood's Cove. The world continues to turn.

Distance: 3.8 miles
Temperature: 67º

What You Need Genius Mix
What You Need (Extended Mix) - INXS
Our Lips Are Sealed - The Go-Go's
Kiss Off - Violent Femmes
Union of the Snake (The Monkey Mix) - Duran Duran
Brass In Pocket - The Pretenders
You May Be Right - Billy Joel
You're All I've Got Tonight - The Cars

No comments: