Tuesday, January 01, 2013

I picked up every piece and landed on my feet.


FOR THE RECORD ...

In the year 2011 ... I logged >70 runs.

That was the lowest number of runs in a single year since I began running in earnest and keeping this blog over six years ago.

In the year 2012 ... I logged >130 runs. 

Not only does this number mean I ran almost twice as much as the previous year, it means I ran more this year that all other individuals years (including 2006 the year I trained for the NYC Marathon) with the exception of the year I took And Then You Die to the New York Fringe Festival. That does not mean I ran more in 2009, but there are a very large number of blog entries for that year, which were not all running-related, and so it is hard to tell without counting them all individually, which I will not do here.

What does this mean? It means as I move into the second half of my forty-fifth year on earth, that I have not slowed down. I will call that a good thing. It gives me hope for the new year. It makes me feel like I am taking care of myself, which believe me, makes it easier to take care of others.

Temperature: 25°
Pavement: Snow and ice, ankle-breaking surface
Distance: 3.25 miles

Happy New Year ... which means 46 Playlist for 46 Years.

2012 Playlist
United State of Pop 2012 (Shine Brighter) - DJ Earworm
Wide Awake (160 bpm) - Katy Perry
What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction
Starships - Nicki Minaj
All Your Gold - Bat For Lashes
Madness - Muse
Drive By - Train
Brokenhearted - Karmin
Five Seconds (177 bpm) - Twin Shadows

The new year, and suddenly -- cold, ice and snow. All well and good when you are taking your kids sledding. Running, not so much. And yet, we run, at night if we must. Not for nothing the fleece I bought this summer is YELLOW. Would not have been my first choice, fashionably speaking. But I will be hella more visible to traffic.

Back to traditional running shoes for the duration, I do not wish to break a leg. Part of zero drop's appeal is zero traction.

Shine brighter.

No comments: