Saturday, August 10, 2013

Summer Streets 2013


"I'm walkin' here."

Double Heart (The Courtship of Beatrice and Benedick) opens TODAY at the Connelly Theater in the Lower East Side, as part of the New York International Fringe Festival!  You know what that means?  


Thank you, Mayor Bloomberg -- three Saturdays every August they close Park and Lafayette Avenues from 72nd Street all the way down to the Brooklyn Bridge. When performing And Then You Die in 2009 I ran from Harris & Liz's apartment where I was staying to my performance space at Astor Place and back.

As much as would like to get a run in in Central Park (and may yet) today I wanted to try something new, and so Annie and I set out for the Brooklyn Bridge. It's a really nice day, not too hot, always a lot of shade, especially in the financial district.

Lots to talk about running with a partner. Annie was telling me about visits she has taken with her brother, and movies that were filmed here, and just about running in general.

Distance: 5.75 miles

Running past the new One World Trade center was moving. I mean, there's just so many emotions there, everyone has something to say or think or feel about that. The best I can say is that the final design is much more attractive than whatever weird thing that was they said they originally going to build.

We also walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, which was a first for me, and in spite of the great views it's something I do not necessarily need to do again. Not, at least, during Summer Streets. We were hardly the only two people clogging a narrow thoroughfare to get our pictures taken.

We discovered during tech rehearsal yesterday that we are missing wig caps for the ladies (I do not use one) and so part of mine and Annie's journey was to locate a beauty shop of Walgreen's so we extended our run up to Astor Place, so I got to point out where I performed four years ago and we each entirely failed to find wig caps, but apparently Lisa is on that.

So, between the walk across the bridge and all the running, we spent about two hours out in the streets of Downtown New York. After the stress and tension of the past couple of days, worrying about arriving, checking in, performing our technical rehearsal, and all of the promotional events, I feel relaxed, calm, confident and peaceful.

Now it's time for a great run!

No comments: