Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My boy, you got to keep that chin up.

All relaxed and shit.

Tuesday doldrums. We arrived a week ago. On Wednesday, I couldn't keep the boy away from me, he had to do everything right now. Fish, kayak, play RISK, then go fishing again. We would end one project and he would immediately ask to do the next thing. It was maddening, but I strove to handle it with grace, or at least an even temper.

By yesterday, he was much more subdued, content to sit and stare at a screen for a while, playing a game or watching a video, and I had to remember to motivate him to get out into the air and take action ... much like I had to remind myself to do the same.

Because I have a big show coming up, the performances of Double Heart at FringeNYC, and I could refresh Google a hundred times waiting for some new announcement that has something, anything to do with the festival, in hope of some mention.

Someone (yes, I actually know who) posted a very positive, and strongly-worded personal review on the NYTimes website today. That was very cool. But it also meant making sure everyone on my social media sees it. The day is sunny and clear, and I am huddled in front of a liquid crystal display.

It is a little warm already for a run, but I feel I must. I must motivate, get out, sweat for a change. Then, perhaps, I will be ready to resume the relaxation part of our vacation.

Temperature: 73°
Climate: sunny! bright! hot!
Distance: 3.8 miles

It is common courtesy for pedestrians to wave at passing cars, and vice versa. Likewise, I tend to remove my headphones when passing other pedestrians to actually say, "good morning" and/or "afternoon" depending on the time of day.

Passed a bearded, elderly man walking two dogs on my way out. On my way back, he only had one.

"I thought you had two!" I said as I approached. He shook his head sadly.

"We got fo-ah," he said.

Nothing Decade
American Dream - Jakatta
Flathead - The Fratellis
Blow It Out - Features
Hold On - Holy Ghost!
A Thing For Me - Metronomy
Heavy Metal Drummer - Wilco
Get A Shot Of The Refrigerator - Stereolab
The Fear - Lily Allen

No comments: