Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Make an old man wish for younger days.

American-Statesman, Feb. 21, 2014

This winter has been like an actual winter, with snow and freezing temperatures. Often I have been reminded of my childhood, when freezing temperatures combined with an oil embargo created gas shortages and a large number of school closings.

The Blizzard of 1977 (dwarfed by the Blizzard of 1978) presented a remarkable opportunity to developed an extensive education in popular music, listening to WGCL pretty much around the clock. My own children have learned a lot about Minecraft.

What has been disheartening is listening to all of my Gen-X contemporaries whining and moaning about all the snow days the kids have gotten, espousing how they walked to school just fine when they were kids and it was -11° outside.

First, it's not true. They cancelled school for us when it was below freezing, a lot. Second, you all sound like grouchy old people, don't do that. 

Temperature: 12°
Climate: snowy
Distance: 1.75 miles

Ten runs in both January and February, 2014. Not bad, considering.

1977 Playlist
Dust In The Wind - Kansas 
I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick
Brick House - The Commodores
No Compassion - Talking Heads
Stayin' Alive - The Bee Gees 

1 comment:

Henrik said...

I loved the split shifts during that winter. I got to stay up late and I learned my way around Bay High School.
On a different note - we are loving Green Wing. Thanks for the tip.