Sunday, December 27, 2015

It's the end of the world (as we know it.)

Books are such wonderful presents. Some I request, but many are complete surprises. Mother-in-law surprised me with The Theater of War by Bryan Doerries (or What Ancient Greek Tragedies Can Teach Us Today.)

The author begins with a brief description of his education at Kenyon, an autodidact desperate to push beyond perceived limitations in his academic abilities (for example, a mild dyslexia necessitating slow and careful reading) and his innate desire to attract and maintain appropriate mentorship.

He also describes his relationship with a woman with cystic fibrosis who perishes in NYC the evening of March 20, 2003. I cannot say for certain where I am on any given day but I can say for certain where I was on that evening, celebrating the loss of one life while carefully monitoring the progress of a new one.

Also, the Iraq War, which was born that day, and which the prologue of this book suggests will come into play. I've only read the first fifty pages.

What if we had not lost the boy? Each Spring Bad Epitaph had presented a classical work, Hamlet, Lysistrata, The Alchemist. It was my desire to attempt Oedipus next. No one knows that and it hardly matters now. I had no basis for this interest, other than the act of doing it. Story of my life.

Mentorship, university, drama, CF, New York City, the Bacchae, self-production, war, alcohol, the death of children, a little Greek and no Latin, all within the first fifty-five pages. No wonder I cried.


Partner Run
Distance: 2.3 miles
Avg Pace: 12:59
Route: Hockhocking Bike Trail

Solo Run
Distance:  2 miles
Avg Pace: 7:34
Route: Hocking River Bike Trail

The wife and I ran/walked away from campus, got a little turned around but had a very nice run on a day which might be described as "unseasonal." She is working to make the transition from eight minutes + eight minutes with a walk in between to a straight twenty minute run. We will get there.

After she read a book, seated on a bench facing the river and White's Mill while I put in another two miles headed toward the Convo.

My left inguinal ligament has been sore these past two days, no idea why. Lack of regular exercise, sure. Perhaps the drive down ... driving a stick for long distances has become increasingly troublesome. Now that the kids are older we can make the entire trip without stopping, which is great, except for the bits that aren't. Anyway, I was looking forward to a fast run and I got one.

My brief playlist consisted of college music. I don't need to listen to songs from the late 1980s when I run the bike path by South Green, but I do like to. Memories have been tormenting me this year, but when I listen to those songs running through that place, I feel absolved. Or if not, then at least understood.

Temperature: 70°
Climate: overcast and warm
Mood: much better, thank you

What's That Lyric?
It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.

No comments: