Sunday, December 13, 2015

It's not the cities, it's the weather we love.

House of Blues
Wednesday night we saw Sleater-Kinney, the greatest rock band in history.

No, seriously.If there is one hallmark of live, popular music, it is that at some point during any show, I wish I wasn't there. It's just too long or gets tedious. There's always this break where someone wanders off the stage for a bit, I wonder, why do they get to go to the bathroom?

I didn't really know this band when they were first on the road, in the late 90s and early 2000s. I knew their name. They were an all-girl punk band, or whatever. They weren't on the radio, or if they were I didn't know it was them.

Their recent album, No Cities To Love received a lot of airplay on The Current and I thought wow, this is really good. The wife asked for the CD for her birthday, we never ask each other for CDs anymore, so it was must-have. Then the concert was announced. We got tickets.

When was the last time I went to a rock concert? Sorry, Elvis Costello doesn't count, that was some kind of easy listening. We all had seats.

So, I don't really know their catalog. I've seen Carrie Brownstein in Portlandia, that was most of my preparation for Wednesday night's show, which was truly awesome. I knew the new album, not by heart, and they played pretty much all of that. Point is each song was interesting, full of energy, exciting. There's no flash, no tricks (Brownstein did hop up onto the bass drum, that was straight-up rock and roll) just straight forward, fast, loud punk rock.

The opening act, Waxahatchee sounds like a 1990s alt-rock girl group only all their members were born in the 1990s. They were good, too. It was a sweet evening.

Distance: 4 miles
Duration: 32 minutes
Route: Cain Park Loop

Today it is sixty degrees. Yesterday it was seventy degrees, but there was work and family and little opportunity to sleep.

Also, my last pair of flight headphones fragged on the last run. What are your favorite headphones for running?

Happy Hanukkah!
No Cities to Love - Sleater-Kinney (2015)
Price Tag
Fangless
Surface Envy
No Cities to Love
A New Wave
No Anthems
Gimme Love
Bury Our Friends
Hey Darling
Fade

Thirty-three minutes of rock and roll perfection, neatly accompanying a four mile run on a fine spring day.

Temperature: 63°
Climate: cool and overcast
Weight: 160.5 lbs.
Mood: Awesome.

Photos: Cleveland Scene

No comments: