Thursday, August 09, 2018

Can't stop. I might end up in the hospital.

David Byrne
(Jacobs Pavilion)
So my wife took me to see David Byrne at Jacobs Pavilion the other night, which was an inspiring birthday present. The backdrop for the space is the Cleveland skyline, depending on the light you either did or did not see both the Key Bank Building and Terminal Tower.

Very physical, impassioned, delightful. In the open air, after the rains, just a gorgeous night.

The kids do not know who this man is, and that is all right, I guess. Anyone under thirty-five I mentioned the show to did not recognize his name.

Talking Heads, sure. But I am surprised his name doesn't ring a bell. I was also surprised few in the audience seemed familiar with the new single "Everybody's Coming To My House." I guess I should not have been.

It's odd, his music, his band's music, was and is iconic because it holds you at a distance. It's ironic, intentionally satiric. Music about buildings and food. ("Love's kind of big," Byrne once said in an interview with himself.) And yet, there it is. In my heart. Expressing so much, about life, anxiety, even love. His music is and always has been about being human, right now.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 79°
Climate: overcast & humid
Mood: not bad

Very humid tonight. It was five degrees hotter the other today, but tonight I was gasping like a fish. I need to run more often. Yesterday I took the boy to get his annual physical. Lot of talk about his weight. The doctor emphasized daily exercise. Lately he's been better about that than I am.

Exercises: yes

The exercises continue. They increase. The wife sees definition in my arms. That's new.

Baseline: 178 lbs.
Today: 169 lbs. (+0.5)
Goal: 165 lbs.

Okay.

What's That Lyric?
Crosseyed & Painless - Talking Heads

No comments: