Saturday, January 05, 2019

Let your spine unwind, just take a risk.

Buckle fracture.
Okay, so. The boy broke his wrist snowboarding.

Four years ago he tore a muscle in his backside while playing soccer, also during the winter. He was sidelined for months, and it was distressing to me, to see him in a wheelchair.

His injury today means no more snowboarding -- ski club starts Tuesday, that's out the window. So, too, wrestling, he hasn't even participated in a meet yet.

Also, his rock set, scheduled for next weekend. God, I think I'm more depressed about that than anyone. I am very glad his injury is minor.

Thursday night, when he was telling me about snowboarding (which he has recently come to love) all I could think about was how horribly he could get hurt.

Well, he's not hurt horribly. But he's done so much great work to prepare for all of these activities, and now he won't get to participate in them, it worries me how this might trouble him.

Breathe, comfort, be there. All may be well.

Distance: 3.15 miles
Pace: 9:19
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 43°
Climate: cool, sundown run
Mood: all right

Breathing easier ... one of my co-workers told me the other day about the difficulties she is having becoming a "runner." She's an award-winning high school athlete, she competed in college. She's a sprinter. Running long distances seems entirely bizarre to her, and trying to run a casual pace has proved challenging. It doesn't make sense.

I have never been a sprinter. But there is a pace I am accustomed to, and going slower is also very difficult to me. I can relate. I was trying very, very hard tonight to take it easy, and I still ended up in a run.

Well, if that's how it goes, what else can I do?

Baseline: 179.5 lbs.
Today: 178.5 lbs. (+0.5)
Goal: 175 lbs.

1998 Playlist
Body Movin' (Fatboy Slim Remix) - Beastie Boys
Pretty Fly (For a White Guy - The Offspring
Distance - Mors Syphilitica
So Far I Have Not Found the Science - Soul Coughing
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day
Girlfriend - Billie Piper
Right Here, Right Now - Fatboy Slim
Hoodoo Voodoo - Billy Bragg & Wilco

No comments: