Friday, January 25, 2019

Can you show me where it hurts?

The New Year was an opportunity to do new, great things, to flip the script (as the kids used to say) but you know, I was pretty sure that was not actually going to happen. No real change in diet, on sporadic restraint in the sugar department. Exercise is not happening.

But it's early, you know? It's January. There are so many events flying about, so many plans to be made, and now it's cold. Perhaps we can pull it together, exhibit restraint. Because it's all about restraint -- about not doing the other thing, about concentrating on this better thing.

Deleting apps from your phone can be a revelation. It can also be short-lived, if you justify their return. Maintaining focus is a constant struggle. So do it! Enjoy the struggle! There is nothing for you there, it's all out here.

Distance: 3 miles
Route: Rec Center
Mood: all right
Exercises: yes

So, the last couple times I have tried a treadmill (at a hotel, at the urging of the boy)I have been unhappy. I have felt uncomfortable. I have felt, in a word, hot. Hot and uncomfortable.

This struck me as strange. Twenty years ago we had a membership at a gym, and I used a treadmill. It's how I got up to speed, in a manner of speaking. Built my strength, endurance, my ability to breathe. I quite around 2004, to run the roads, and never looked back.

Only today, using the track at the rec center, have a realized (duh) what the main difference is. It's air. I thought perhaps I was bored, running place, and that made me more aware of how heated I was getting.

But you get cooled when air is moving past you. Why have I never thought of this before?

Baseline: 179.5 lbs.
Today: 179.5 lbs. (+2.0)
Goal: 175 lbs.

And we're back.

2003 Playlist
Sunrise - Simply Red
Miss Indepedent - Kelly Clarkson
All Things (Just Keep Getting Better) - Widelife ft. Simone Denny
Comfortably Numb - Scissor Sisters
The District Sleeps Alone Tonight - The Postal Service
Keep Me In Your Heart - Warren Zevon
The Way You Move - OutKast ft. Sleepy Brown
Such Great Heights - The Postal Service

Visit my Team Challenge Crohn's & Colitis page and support my bid for the Chicago Marathon!

No comments: