Friday, July 15, 2022

It's a hundred miles from yesterday night.

Zenyatta Mondatta
is the greatest album by The Police. Folks say its Synchronicity, which is a very good record, and quite possibly ranks as high as their fifth best. That's an argument for another time.

Tracks from Zenyatta keep popping up on the boy's playlist, and then we start talking about what a great record it is. By their own account they were "disappointed" with it, that they made it too fast during a very short break in their touring schedule (four weeks) but maybe that's why it's so great. They didn't over think it.

Listen to their re-recording of "Don't Stand So Close To Me" if you'll see what I mean. 

I tell people I was listening to so much Genesis in high school, but seriously, The Police were a very close second. Everything else was third.

Distance: 4.1 miles
Duration: 38:11
Pace: 9:11
Route: Forest Hill Loop
Temperature: 77°
Climate: sunny & warm
Mood: good
Stretches: yes
Abdominals:
Water: yes
Weight: 181 lbs. (-1.0)
Goal: 175 lbs.

My God, what a beautiful day. What a beautiful body. I felt good, the entire time. 

Zenyatta Mondatta - The Police (1980)
Don't Stand So Close To Me
Driven To Tears (161 bpm)
When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around
Canary In a Coalmine
Voices Inside My Head
Bombs Away
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Behind My Camel
Man In a Suitcase
Shadows In the Rain (158 bpm)
The Other Way of Stopping (165 bpm)

Spring Break, April 1982. We were visiting relatives in Florida. I was lying on the shag carpeting of a bedroom at my aunt's and uncle's condo in Clearwater. High in the sky, slide doors opened to the gulf a few hundred feet away.

My brother had a Walkman, but he let me use it. He had a 90 minute cassette of Zenyatta Mondatta b/w Ghost In the Machine, dubbed from his vinyl records. While they include the pop of vinyl it was also the first time I had really listened to music on headphones, Walkman headphones. I was transported. I was alive. I was about to turn fourteen. And I needed to break up with my girlfriend.

No comments: