Sunday, October 28, 2007

First to pull over when the atmosphere is less than perfect


The past week has made my head very unhappy. Whatever physical revolution I went through since the beginning of the year, I feel as though I have returned to where I began.

Spetember is a wearying month, but not an unbearable one. Waking very early to run, followed by long rehearsal days and few hours of sleep. The wife has been very kind, letting me sleep in the past few weekends, being with the kids so I can snooze peacefully. I've been feeling great.

Then the winds shifted, fall blew in and my head began to expand. Every day last week I had a fragile stomach. I would get very hungry, and gaseous, and then I would eat something and almost immediately feel queasy. I had some stoamch thing. I has just about filtered it out by yesterday, when I slept in a little, until 8 am, and was all headachy and miserable.

My dreams were odd, the actors' nightmare variety, tedious, so tedious, and I would wake with a furrowed brow. It had something to do with the four year-old nudging me in my sleep, it wasn't really sleep, that had a lot to do with it. In any case, it wasn't a good body day, though I ept myself busy enough to distract me from feeling truly bad.

I blew my nose around dinner, which threw off my equilibrium - my ears were out of balance, it made me dizzy and unwell. I woke feeling the same way. I just two two generic sudfeds, we'll see if that makes any diff.

Oh, and the running, you say? Yes, working on that. I had to take off at somethng like seven every morning this week, and by the time the day was through, I was too unwell to consider hitting the road.

My head started throbbing the moment I started, it would come and go. I would breathe deeply, regularly, I was trying to run fast enough that I wasn't thudding along, but not too fast. (Songs asterisk'ed below indicate my BPM.) At my normal 3.25 turn-off I decided it was either push on through until the headache went away or resign myself to a lousy afternoon. I am glad I did. And yet, I feel crappy. But not as crappy as if I hadn't run, and that's what it's all about, hey kids?

That's not even addressing the unholy mess that is my right foot.

Stats:
Distance: 5.15 miles
Weight: 170.5 lbs.
Stretches: yes
Snack: GU "Chocolate Outrage" (outrageously fetid)
Drink: Accelerade
Start Time: 12.00 pm
Temperature: 54º
Weather: sunny, cool & loverly

Playlist:
Glass Breaker (Force Mass Motion Mix) - The Crystal Method f. Charlotte Martin
Song for Shekter _ Fatboy Slim
Angst In My Pants * - Sparks
Head Like a Hole (Copper) - Nine Inch Nails
Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago - Soul Coughing
She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
Doctorin' the Tardis - The Timeslords (The KLF)
Is That Love * - Squeeze
Yestreday Never Tomrrows * - The Stills
Canary In a Coalmine - The Police
Cooldown: U Got Me Up - Dajae w/Cajmere

Runner Down (NY Marathon)

(Low budget M. Doughty.)

No comments: