Thursday, October 04, 2007

Run away, turn away, run away, turn away, run away

My thoughts are with everyone running the Chicago this Sunday, especially R. - who will complete his fourth marathon! In any event, it's supposed to be mid-80s, deathly humid ... with thunderstorms. Oy. Drink, drink, drink!

The Doritos ... must ... stop ...

WARNING: Disgusting Wart News

Wednesday I visited my podiatrist about those nasty things on my feet. So you know, I have tried Compund W (the regular kind, and the kind for Plantar warts which use pads) as well as the "duct tape" method. There was another podiatrist I had been seeing a few years ago, but he was way on the West Side and my visits were irregular.

In any case, nothing ever worked. The "mosaic" is on the pad of my right foot, close to the "drop-off point" to my toes. Treatment like duct tape did a treat on necrotizing the flesh underneath, but in that particular place it not only gave a burning sensation, but effected the tissue underneath, making my foot feel like it was broken. I was hobbling everywhere - or slithering. Like Byron.

More and more white, crumbly skin would come away, but it was apparent by the never-shrinking footprint that remained that I wasn't getting anywhere.

Eight weeks ago this new doctor prescribed Formalaz, which has worked differently than all those salicylic acid treatments. He says there is progress but I am withholding hope. I am supposed to use a pumice stone to strip away the callouses that the body creates to protect the foot in response to this severe treatment, but these callouses have gotten so thick I feel like I am not scraping away the dead, hard skin so much as buffing it to a shiny luster.

I'm not even using a pumice stone, I am using a metal corn remover. After what the doctor used to strip away the callouses, a scalpel and then a handheld sanding drill, I don't feel so bad about the harsh treatment I normally give them. He stripped them down to skin ... and large white footprints. Again, I don't see any progess. But he's really nice. I'll see him again in November.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Weight: 168.5 lbs.
Stretches: yes
Drink: Accelerade
Start Time: 10.20 pm
Temperature: 68º
Weather: warm & dark

Boy, running at night is so much more pleasant, I can't tell you.

Playlist:
All Good Things (Come To An End) - Nelly Furtado
Starbursts Over Orion - Modaji
Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson
Mister Sister - The Tender Box
+ Smalltown Boy - Bronski Beat
He Can't Love You Like I Love You - Michael Stanley Band

+ This one's for you and all your Man-Friends, Mrs. Beasley. Thanks for reminding me that the old hometown really is a great place to raise your kids ... unless they're gay.

Nelly Furtado
"All Good Things (Come To An End)"


SPOILER: Final six minutes of "Six Feet Under"
This song is better than the one they actually used.

No comments: