Sunday, October 07, 2007

Put lotion on me


A friend of mine is working towards her first 5K - and a potential marathon. She'd never really run more than a mile before she started training in earnest a few weeks ago. She gives me periodic running updates, which are fabulous (she should create a blog.)

It feels really good that she chose to ask me for advice, I love being helpful. And it's so easy, there's so much basic stuff that you just never know right off the bat and someone needs to tell you so you know you are doing the right thing. Always drink before and after (during on long runs) and eat something before you go. You don't have to run every day, run every other day, rest is important, too. Things like that.

She's already pushed past three miles, so she knows she can do the run next month.

Speaking of friends, I was tracking R. in Chicago until the site crashed from overuse. I was worried, I can't imagine running a marathon in mid-80s heat. I took a run this afternoon in sympathy, it's ridiculous. The only thing that felt worse than running was walking, taking away the wind resistance I could really feel the surface temperature of my face and back.

I ran without a shirt. In broad daylight. I'm sorry, citizens, I went crazy. It won't happen again.

But he finished! 5:17.26, not the number he was shooting for, but that was before someone decided summer in October was a good idea. Nice for baseball, sure (even better if you live here, ha ha ha) but unhappy for running.

But he made it! Woo-woo!

By the way, Walgreen's brand toe separators suck. But kids have hidden the really nice ones I get at Target. They love those things. If I find one in the boy's mouth, I think I will vomit.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Weight: 167 lbs.
Stretches: yes
Mea; Ramen w/egg
Drink: Accelerade
Start Time: 2.30 pm
Temperature: 88º
Weather: bright & sweaty

Playlist:
Ohh La La - The Ditty Bops
Love Rollercoaster - Ohio Players
Kiss You Back - Digital Underground
All Night - Sam Phillips
Black Calfironia - Kaada
Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) - MIKA

Workout Music: Soothing or Aggressive?

Aggressive, of course. Loud, obnoxious, aggressive ... disco. To each their own. But still.

UPDATE: Jesus. I had no idea things were so terrible in Chicago, excuse me for sounding flip - I was just pleased to see my friend had made it across the finish line, if I thought his life was in danger I'd wish he hadn't. Apparently it was hotter than what I found on the Internet, I know one man died, and I hope those hospitalized will recover soon.

No comments: