Sunday, June 13, 2010

USA WINS 1-1



For the first time in some time, Ms. Jacobs has been brought to my mind. I came home to find one of neighbors' kid's bike was still in our yard, so I headed up the street with it to drop it off. It's late, he's four, he shouldn't have to come down here and get it after dark.

And I ran into his mom, and the parent of another child my girl goes to school with. And we chatted a little about summer plans, camps and so on. It was a brief conversation, but when I turned to walk away I realized how different I felt a few minutes earlier when I had been running down the same path.

I do not run these days. I am flying. Walking reminded me that I have been flying. And I want to remember this feeling so I never forget it again.

And Ms. Jacobs? She used to live up the street, and moved maybe two years ago. She had these little dogs she walked, one was named T-Rex, that was a joke. She new everyone's business - in a good way. She knew who was moving in, and what they do for a living and how people's health was ... this was before I knew anyone else in the neighborhood except my immediate neighbors.

She would say "hi" to me when I was running, which I would hate. Because I was running! This was when I would thread through my own neighborhood, and not take off in a loop around the city. So I might pass her in the middle of my run, as I went by my house again. And it would ruin my time - not my timing, my Time, capital "T", my time I get to be in my head, running.

Now I know the people in the neighborhood. And we all seem to know each other better. And we have block parties. And we make cookies for each other.

I wish she were here to see all of this.

FIFA WORLD CUP MIX

Shout For England - Dizzee Rascal & James Corden
Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) - Shakira ft. Freshlyground
Hi Friend! - Deadmau5 Feat. MC Flipside
I Get Around - Dragonette
Moar Ghosts 'n' Stuff - Deadmau5
Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk
Ready 2 Wear - Felix da Housecat

I am trying to be all International with the kids, so we're trying to get in as much FIFA action as possible. I just love Stupid World Cup Theme Songs.

Distance: 3.25 miles
Temperature: 72º
Weather: warm
Weight: 160.5 lbs.

No comments: