Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Set me out on the run.

It was the chukka boots.

My foot has been in some kind of mild pain since Good Friday. It started on the top of the foot, but has moved down that bone and into the instep. I thought it may have been caused by my new running shoes.

However, I was also now wearing chukka boots every day, for a show I was doing, to break them in and make them appear worn. Also, it's just a good idea for actors to be acclimated with their footwear.

Finally, the show in question opened with me hoisting myself into an open window, and then awkwardly climbing through it. My stage combat coach gave me great instruction for getting down from the window sill safely, and with an apparent lack of grace.

In college our movement coach taught us how to perform an AIkido roll, and there were elements of that in this. In an Aikido roll, you can propel yourself, from standing, into a graceful forward roll, from your curved forearm, touching the floor across your shoulders and back -- never touching the ground with your neck or head -- and return to standing.  Lordy, that was a long time ago, but there were elements of that in this.  Clambering through the window, balancing on my pelvis on the sill, I leaned over and put my left hand to the floor, bringing my left foot through the window, bending my left arm, and finally rolling across my shoulders and back, slapping the floor with my right hand for good measure.

Some asked after if I had hurt my head, and I had to say, no, my neck and head never touched the floor.

However, during the penultimate week of performance, a few weeks coping with this apparent stress fracture in my foot, I noticed that conducting this window trick made my foot hurt. And now I believe that, in addition to the arch-support-free chukka boots, I had been hitting the floor with my left foot at the same time I was slapping it with my right hand.

Do I know if this is how I damaged my left foot? No. But I can say that I have returned to my new sneakers without any additional damage to my foot. In fact, while it still hurts, and no doubt will continue to do so until the race is won, it hurts less now that the show has closed.

Distance: 4 miles
Route: Neighborhood Loop

36.2 miles to go.
Temperature: 55º
Climate: cool

Snack: none
Weight: 164 lbs.
Hydration? yes
Stretches? yes


Euggh. Remember? That's what it feels like when you don't eat.

The Model Genius Playlist  
Gypsy Woman (Red Hot + Dance) - Crystal Waters  
Da Funk - Daft Punk  
Ghosts 'n' Stuff - Deadmau5
Eleven - Gabriel & Dresden
Soma - Deadmau5  
Word Problems - Deadmau5

Cooldown:  
Blast the Speakers (Advanced 12"Mix) - Warp Brothers

Must stuck up on gels, get a very large track suit. 55º -- Cool enough to run, awful to stand around in.

I will be running naked this weekend, which is to say, no headphones, no cellphone, just my running kit with a few gels pinned to me. That's it. I will post my bib number and provide info for following my progress in the next day or two.

THIS NEW BLOGGER/GOOGLE EDITOR IS HORRID.

No comments: